Monday, August 3, 2009

Just when you think it's safe...

For the past year I've had to make major adjustments to how I approach work. It's a project which bears my name, so naturally I'm going to take each and every aspect, no matter how minute, very seriously. This leads to an unhealthy habit of needing to be around all the time. I realized early on that this propensity for working around the clock was not sustainable and that the only fix is having a staff that I trust in place. There were issues early on but amiable changes were made and recently I've been able to breathe easier and take a little extra time. In fact, the long weekend I have planned a month from now that will have me away from the restaurant for a few days didn't faze me a bit. That is, a trusted employee gave the dreaded two weeks notice. All urges to throw a tantrum suppressed... People come and go, and letting that unhinge you is simply not an option. Needless to say, I'm disappointed that I now have to hire someone new, train that person and somehow build up a level of trust that will set my mind at ease when I'm away from the kitchen for a few short days less than a month from now. Am I up to it? Why not...

On another note...summer food is in full swing and it is truly the easiest seasonal selection to create magic with. Grilled items are hitting hard including our Steak & Fries, a pork shoulder that is cooked sous vide over night before being portioned and grilled with radicchio and peaches, and our ever popular burger, which was recently voted one of the best in Portland (Huzza!). We're also flying through seafood, which is always a relief. A server commented to me last night that the entire dining room was filled with regulars. I must say, that no matter how many slow nights we have in a row, a room full of regulars restores all hope that we can succeed. If only we could figure out how to fill the room like that nightly!

No comments:

Post a Comment